THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Vol 01 - Thoughts & Impressions

About The Mangaka

Tanigawa Nagaru is rather unusual as a manga-ka or even as a writer, in that he didn't train as one. Rather he is a law school graduate of all things>. <. While he is best known for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya series, which won him the grand prize at eighth annual Sneaker Awards; he has done several other series.

I couldn’t find anything solid on Tsugano Gaku, other than that he or she also did the art for Girl Who Runs Through Time, which was licensed by CMX. I couldn't find anything solid on Tsugano Gaku, other than that he or she also did the art for Girl Who Runs Through Time, which was licensed by CMX.

Ito Noizi took me by surprise, she did the art for the Shakugan no Shana novels, but also works for a H-Game company. She has a personal Website , though it’s Japanese only. Ito Noizi took me by surprise, she did the art for the Shakugan no Shana novels, but also works for a H-Game company. She has a personal Website though it's Japanese only.

About the Manga

haruhi_1

I’ll be up front and honest, this was on series I had considered letting Yen Press know not to send me. I found the anime so uninteresting I wanted nothing to do with it. I'll be up front and honest, this was on series I had considered letting Yen Press know not to send me. I found the anime so uninteresting I wanted nothing to do with it.

But with everything going on I forgot to, so it turned up. I decided to read it and get it over with, and to my surprise I found that not only was I liking it, but I was actually loving it. But with everything going on I forgot to, so it turned up. I decided to read it and get it over with, and to my surprise I found that not only was I liking it, but I was actually loving it.

I really like Gaku’s art, it’s strong and confident and has no flaws that I saw. It was consistent as well, which of late is something I’ve found lacking in a lot of manga. Gotta love Haruhi and Mikuru in bunny girl outfits!! And Mikuru in her maids outfit!!! Where can I get a girl like that I really like Gaku's art, it's strong and confident and has no flaws that I saw. It was consistent as well, which of late is something I've found lacking in a lot of manga. Gotta love Haruhi and Mikuru in bunny girl outfits!! And Mikuru in her maids outfit!!! Where can I get a girl like that

Ito’s characters are awesome!! While Haruhi is the lead, I don’t particularly like her. I don’t hate her or anything, I just don’t feel she’s as good as she should be. For me the star of the show is Nagato, she’s cute, aloof and bloody funny. Ito's characters are awesome!! While Haruhi is the lead, I don't particularly like her. I don't hate her or anything, I just don't feel she's as good as she should be. For me the star of the show is Nagato, she's cute, aloof and bloody funny.

I felt that Haruhi was trying to hard to be funny, where as Nagato and Mikuru simply are funny. I felt that Haruhi was trying to hard to be funny, where as Nagato and Mikuru simply are funny.

Ito’s designs are great, but I do feel that Haruhi should have had a bit more oomph behind her design. That’s the only flaw I can think of when looking at the characters as a whole. I have to admit I nearly killed myself laughing when Haruhi referred to Mikuru as the token big boobed moe mascot. Ito's designs are great, but I do feel that Haruhi should have had a bit more oomph behind her design. That's the only flaw I can think of when looking at the characters as a whole. I have to admit I nearly killed myself laughing when Haruhi referred to Mikuru as the token big boobed moe mascot.

Tanigawa’s story is funny to say the least. Psycho girl looking for aliens, time travellers etc etc. Normal every day guy, and a slew of the targets around them, all interested in the lead. Tanigawa's story is funny to say the least. Psycho girl looking for aliens, time travellers etc etc. Normal every day guy, and a slew of the targets around them, all interested in the lead.

My only grief with this really is that I can see Kyon ending up with Haruhi, but I really don’t want to see that. I want him to end up with Nagato. Their relationship would cause more hilarity I think. Though I can see why he needs to be with Haruhi in terms of character and plot development. My only grief with this really is that I can see Kyon ending up with Haruhi, but I really don't want to see that. I want him to end up with Nagato. Their relationship would cause more hilarity I think. Though I can see why he needs to be with Haruhi in terms of character and plot development.

I really don’t like Koizumi, there’s something a little to fake and weird about him >.< I really don't like Koizumi, there's something a little to fake and weird about him>. <

I have to admit this volume blew me away. When I started the volume I was someone who didn’t want to read it, and would never have bought it. However within a chapter I was hooked, and by the end I was converted!! I have to admit this volume blew me away. When I started the volume I was someone who didn't want to read it, and would never have bought it. However within a chapter I was hooked, and by the end I was converted! !

Yen Press do a good job with this release, however it does have several flaws. Firstly, an insane amount of guttering. All to often I was having to bend the book back over, something I hate to do since it damages the spine. Secondly, the editing, in the sides there’s to much wasted white space in the speech bubbles. The text is cramped into the side leaving a load of wasted space. Yen Press do a good job with this release, however it does have several flaws. Firstly, an insane amount of guttering. All to often I was having to bend the book back over, something I hate to do since it damages the spine. Secondly , The editing, in the sides there's to much wasted white space in the speech bubbles. The text is cramped into the side leaving a load of wasted space.

They get extra points from me though for the extra we’re given, the prologue and first chapter of the light novel that’s due for release next year. They get extra points from me though for the extra we're given, the prologue and first chapter of the light novel that's due for release next year.

This preview caught my interest, and while it didn’t feel as good as the manga did, it was enough to spark more interest in me. I’ll certainly be picking up the novels when they’re released mid next year. This preview caught my interest, and while it didn't feel as good as the manga did, it was enough to spark more interest in me. I'll certainly be picking up the novels when they're released mid next year.

I’m glad they left the colour pages intact in this release, since the chibi Nagato and Mikuru are just so damned cute in full colour!! I'm glad they left the colour pages intact in this release, since the chibi Nagato and Mikuru are just so damned cute in full colour!!

There is one down side to this release though, and that’s the wait between volumes. Volume two isn’t due out until March 2009 which is a five month wait, which I feel is a bit excessive. There is one down side to this release though, and that's the wait between volumes. Volume two isn't due out until March 2009 which is a five month wait, which I feel is a bit excessive.

The real question now is, how do I recommend it? I had to think on this, since my first reaction was to put it on the Essential Read list. However after thinking about it I've decided not to. While it was good enough to be on there, I want to give it a few more volumes before making that decision. I'm going to be getting a lot tougher on my titles from now on. They'll need something special to get on my list from now on

0 comments: